Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Booked my first Book . . . audiobook that is.

I just booked my first audio book based on my audition at Audible.com last week. The producer called me and left a message on my cell phone. He said he definitely wants me to do the book (Yay!)and I should call so and so to schedule the sessions. He also said (these are his words) that he thinks I am a very good actor and he wants to "keep me around". Needless to say, I am thrilled about the compliment and the job!

So I called So and so and have booked my sessions for the first week in September right after the holiday weekend.

I've gone through the book and I enjoyed it very much. It's a first novel and I believe it is quite good. My only comment is it left me wanting more. I hope the author writes some sequels because I'd love to know more about how these peoples lives turn out. Besides, I can use the work!

I can't reveal the title just yet due to the fact that I don't know what the rules are regarding confidentiality and such, but the book has many interesting characters. There are several varieties of Hispanic / Urban type people, an Irish guy, some mafia-type thugs and various other people, who should be quite interesting to portray. Frankly, I can't wait!

This proves beyond the shadow of a doubt, the power of persistence and the power of networking.

The persistence part has to do with the fact that I almost gave up the ghost on this line of work several times during the past 3 years. I was this close to calling it quites any number of times, but something kept driving me onward. Now, I'm so glad I didn't quit. Finally, my efforts are beginning to pay off and it feels wonderful to start building some forward momentum.

The networking part comes in the form of my friend and sometimes Engineer, Tony Salerno who recommended that I be called in for an audition. Tony my brother from another mother, thank you so much for recommending me to your people at Audible. I truly appreciate it and I hope to have a long and fruitful relationship with them.

I hope this inspires any of you out there who might be thinking of quitting.

Don't! You'll regret it if you do.

I leave you with one of my very favorite quotes on the subject of persistence . . .

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination are omnipotent. The slogan press on has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race. No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave."

-- (John) Calvin Coolidge

3 comments:

Peter O'Connell said...

Joe:

Great news on this first of what I am sure will be many audiobooks in your future.

Best always,
- Peter

Anonymous said...

Joe,
I am so happy for you. Congratulations. I agree with what you say, that "persistence does pay off". You're an inspiration!
All The Best,
Bobbin Beam, ISDN Voice Actress

Voiceover Thespian said...

Thanks Peter and Bobbin, I appreciate the kind thoughts.