Monday, August 04, 2008

The Incredible Power of Doing . . . Something!

I hadn't been booking much VO for a while so I decided that I'd better start directing more energy towards my voiceover career.

As a member of Voices.com, I receive audition notices daily but I hardly ever actually audition. I'm not sure why, I just didn't. I guess maybe I figured I'd be rejected anyway, so what was the point? Typical stinkin thinkin.

Well after thinking about it some more and remembering some of the motivational stuff from Zig Ziglar that I used to listen to for hours on end, I finally decided that if I am going to get anywhere in this business, I better start doing something about it, and I mean now.

So I started submitting auditions to Voices.com daily. Small jobs, big jobs, English jobs, Spanish jobs, just auditioning as much as I could. I auditioned for a whole bunch of stuff, and the result? Nothing, nada, zip, zilch.

At least not from Voices.com.

But all of a sudden, things have started to come to me from several other directions!

I got a nice Spanish VO job out of the blue, I got an audition for a McDonald's piece, which I didn't get, but hey, it's McDonald's! I booked 4 hours of ADR work last week and another 4 hours this Friday, I got an audition at Audible.com from an engineer friend and another engineer friend just booked me for Anime job.

I get to be a toon again! WOOT ... WOOOOOT!

I truly believe in the following two quotes.

"I have learned, that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." - Henry David Thoreau

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe


Moving in the direction of your dreams. What a wonderful concept. and by doing so, we activate the "Genius, power and magic", what wonderful forces to have on ones side.

Do you believe in Magic? I do! Oh yes baby. I'm counting on it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the fabulous uptick in auditions! As a long-timer in radio and a newcomer to VO as a living, I love the positive light you shine in this post.

You're absolutely right...put your heart, soul and elbow grease into your dreams and your dreams do come true. It happens every time, not just most of the time...every time.

So dream on...success is ours if we believe it is!