Sunday, October 12, 2008

Honoring commitments

Lately, I've gotten requests for paid work. My friends at EBRU TV need me to come in and do some ADR work. My friends at Audible have another audiobook for me.

Normally these would be good things. Great things!

So what's the problem? I am doing Jekyll and Hyde at the Villager's Playhouse in Somerset NJ. Community theater. FREE work.

So I am turning away paid work because I committed to doing this show for free and as we get closer to the opening date, the rehearsal schedule is becoming more and more of a bear. But I am honoring my commitments.

The truth is that I will still do the paid work. I have to because I need the dough. It's just that it's becoming uglier and uglier trying to schedule everything without missing J&H rehearsals and I don't want to commit to the paid work unless I know I can honor the commitment.

Make no mistake, I will commit to it, and I will honor my commitment because my first commitment is to myself and my family. My voiceover business has become a not so insignificant part of my income now and I am committed to building that business and taking it to the next level.

I fully intend to honor that commitment.

No comments: